Friday 7 March 2008

Why would I support PAS?

In my younger days, PAS was portrayed as a demonic political party which would cut off the hands of a thief and hang me as an unbeliever.

But how much of that picture was real (and I know some of it was) and how much was the embellishment of the BN controlled media (like the NST and the Star)?

But here in this article, we see a PAS that has started to take a moderate road - the kind of road a political party takes when it needs co-operation from others, and does not hold a 2/3 majority.

Read: The Political Maturing of PAS: Recognition of the Need for Inclusion of Non-Muslims and Non-Malays

So PAS is opening its mind across religious and racial lines. I would much rather support someone attempting to have an open mind, than someone who makes veiled (quite thinly veiled) threats of racial segregation and discrimination as in the NST today. NST even had a picture ("No Representation, No Voice" it said), but this only tells me what BN would do to "punish" the rakyat if it (BN) does not win its 2/3 majority. I will never support bullies.

No comments: