Thursday 19 February 2009

Helping out with RVGSC

RVGSC (see their business card at right) is a Voluntary Welfare Organisation committed to improving the lives of women, girls and children in crisis.

The centre is one of the many houses run by the Sisters of the Good Shepherd in Malaysia. This is a charity I fully support. After the 2006 Tsunami, the local house was collecting funds to send to their sister house in Ceylon, and I gladly chipped in - something I would not do for any government organised fund collection. (Not that government itself cannot be trusted, but that one can never be sure all the people involved are on the level).

We were in Petaling Jaya today - 1Utama shopping centre. We were helping RVGSC setup their booth at the community counter. They will be there today (19Feb2009) till Sunday (22Feb2009).

As you can see, its a cheerful counter, and it's selling delicious cookies and ikan-bilis sambal. There's also handicraft made by members in East Malaysia.

Prices are resonable (not cheap, but well within the range of what you'd pay for stuff at 1-Utama) and the staff are shy but friendly. They all dashed away the moment I said "lets take a picture".

Here is a picture of their sambal (in the bottles), special mixed nuts (with just a dash of spice to make your mouth water) and cookies. Their London biscuits are amazing - I literally sucked the chocolate off the wrapper after eating the biscuit.

Below this is a picture of their handicraft. mostly cute little stuff, but one thing to look out for, for those with an eye for the unique and beautiful, is the hand painted river stones.

I picked out the one with the tiger face on it. You can see it in this picture, a little left of centre. Truly amazing. The price, however, was a little over my budget, so I reluctantly put it down. Someone else will get luck and take it home with them.

I hope all of you reading this (yes, both of you) stop by and give them your custom. (That's good Engrish for 'buy their stuff' lah). After all, if we personally can not help people in trouble, the least we can do is sponsor someone we can trust to do it on our behalf.
The RVGSC booth is located at the first floor of the OVAL, New Wing, 1-U. They are directly across the Oval from the escalators.
Update on Tue 24Feb.: Thanks to all my friends and relatives for showing up and giving the sisters your custom (i.e. you were their customers - thats there the word comes from I think). I was told that She-Ra and friends even ordered several bottles of salt-fish pickle (which is pretty good too, so I dont know why they didn't stock any to start with) which will have to be imported from Ipoh. Good show. Maybe I can convince She-Ra to invite me over to her place for chicken curry and salt-fish pickle one day... ha ha ha.

No comments: