Monday 14 September 2009

Follow the instructions

Like everyone else, I get my share of friendly spam. I define "friendly spam" as the forwarded email that friends send to you just to show they're thinking of you, but dont necessarily have anything important to say.

Or, "friendly spam"can be something your friend thinks is important (poisonous spiders hiding in the toilets of Setapak, Perfume samples with knockout gas, alleged words of wisdom from the Dalai Lama - you know, that kind of thing) but you may not believe yourself.

Or, it can be a joke or a list of jokes your friend thinks is funny and wants to share with you (I must have received a dozen or more sets about marriage alone over the years).


Anyway, its not often you get one that's indecent and innocent at the same time. I got such a one today, and to celebrate the occasion, I post it here:

Miss Beatrice, the church organist, was in her eighties and had never been married.

S
he was admired for her sweetness and kindness to all.

One
afternoon the pastor came to call on her and she showed him into her quaint sitting room.

S
he invited him to have a seat while she prepared tea.

As he sat facing her old Hammond organ the young minister noticed a cut-glass bowl sitting on top of it.

T
he bowl was filled with water, and in the water floated, of all things, a condom!

W
hen she returned with tea and scones, they began to chat.

T
he pastor tried to stifle his curiosity about the bowl of water and its strange floater, but soon it got the better of him and he could no longer resist.

'Miss Beatrice' he said, 'I wonder if you would tell me about this?' pointing to the bowl.

'Oh yes' she replied, 'Isn't it wonderful?' I was walking in through the park a few months ago and I found this little package on the ground. The directions said to place it on the organ, keep it wet and that it would prevent the spread of disease. Do you know I haven't had the flu all winter'

Brilliant - that's all I can say.

No comments: